Re: PIR vs. Computers

shady wrote:
> Just wondering if there's a risk of false alarms on a motion (DSC's BV300,
> not pet immune) which faces a computer about 12-15 feet away (blinking
> led's, screensavers, etc.)
>
> It's been good so far... just don't want to have any problems over Christmas
> when I'm gone.

Unless you're using your computer as a fax machine or server leaving it
"on" and completely unattended isn't a good idea.  A fan failure could
result in damage to your machine, for instance.  It's best to turn it
off and unplug it from the wall.  If you're going away for any length of
time, unplug your appliances and TV's as well.  More importantly (and
depending on where you are) in colder weather, make sure you leave a set
of keys with a friend or close aquaintance so they can check on the
house every two or three days.  Some home-owner's policies I've seen
have clauses that state the insurer considers the house "abandonded"
(with respect to any cold weather related claims that may arise) if no
one's been there for more than 72 hours (so make sure they log or
document their visits as well).  In Edmonton (where I lived for about
fifteen years), that was a pretty standard clause.  Turn off the water
to your toilets and to the hot water tank (it's a good idea to shut off
the gas to the tank or turn of the electric breaker to it as well).