Re: Hijacked thread! Somebody call Team America!

mikey wrote:
> I hafta always let bass get the last word or I get his mom calling my mom,
> you know the routine.
> But I am curious about this leaving the damn things on 24/7 ?  I can't see
> any advantage, the hard drives still stop spinning, is it better for the
> fans not to start and stop? Inquiring minds want to know.
>
> And what are you other small fry doing about outages and such? I operate an
> office and shop out of my home and have a modest generator... powers the
> phone system, 2pcs and the furnace and I have something called Ibackup
> saving stuff online somewhere.
>
> And now radies and gentimen... mister awrec baaaawwwin

Robert is correct.  Is less stressful on the CPU if you leave the
computer "on" 24/7.  The "power on" self test that most computers
undergo puts the most stress on the components.  Most computer builders
suggest leaving the thing on.  I like to stress that if you do, it
better be in a well supervised environment.  The chances of an Intel
supplied CPU fan failing is remote, but I have seen it happen.
Sometimes you get adequate warning of an impending failure (the fan will
start "buzzing").  When you hear that it's best to try and track down
which unit it is (for instance, a case fan failure isn't as critical).
The cases we've settled on all have direct ducting to the CPU so the fan
is pulling air in that's room temperature.  Most cases I've seen are
circulating air that's already inside the case and which is a few
degrees warmer than room temperature.

My CPU's temperature is 29 degrees C.  My motherboard's at 24 degrees C.
  The room I'm in is at 20 degrees C.

If you're going away for an extended time (more than three days), it's
best to do as I suggested.