Re: Hijacked thread! Somebody call Team America!

>  But I am curious about this leaving the damn things on 24/7 ?  I can't see any advantage, the hard drives still stop spinning, is it better for the fans not to start and stop?

Modern PC hard drives generally outlast the service lives of the PCs in
which they reside.  The biggest current draw is usually the screen and
that shuts off automatically as well.  The major difference is the
amount of stress placed on the various components during power up/down
cycles.

>  Inquiring minds want to know.

Probably so but I'll answer you also.

>  I operate an office and shop out of my home and have a modest generator...

I liked having a genset that could power everything in the house in CT.
The problem with our current home is it would require a 20kW system so
I'm setting up a smaller unit to power just the office, kitchen, HVAC
and garage.  Fortunately, power outages in Sarasota rarely last more
than a few hours.

Regards,
Robert L Bass
www.BassBurglarAlarms.com