Re: lack of support at Home Technology Store

On 26 Aug 2005 14:24:37 -0700, powercat@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Yes I'm probably an idiot but (1) when I renovated I saw the garbage a
>sizeable local monitoring company had previously installed and I wanted
>top shelf stuff and (2) I wanted hardwire that was going to be a real
>pain in the rump because of house layout and nobody really wanted to do
>it and (3) I have the Andersen windows that installers hate and (4) I
>had access to a commercial installer who would moonlight the panel
>install if needed.  Oh and my in-law is a retired electrical type who
>supervised the wiring placement like a Marine drill sargeant (best part
>of all).
>
>My big mistake was letting the equipment reseller sell me service
>before the above was all complete.  Oh well lessons learned.
>
>All I am doing currently is adding a siren in the attic.  It seems
>happy now.
>
>Thanks and best wishes to all of you -- you seem to be all over North
>America.

You just need to find a decent 'smaller' alarm company. You can get
top shelf equipment from any company. Just because the last owner of
your home was a cheap bastard and got a low end panel doesn't mean
that's all that's available. Did you ask?

When you say 'hardwire that was going to be a real pain in the rump
because of house layout and nobody really wanted to do it' and 'I have
the Andersen windows that installers hate', how did you come to these
conclusions? I regularly get retrofit alarm jobs simply because I'm
confident that my installer CAN wire ANY house without wire showing
and the other salespeople say there's no way to do it except
wirelessly. Being an installer myself helps because I can show the
client approx how the wire will get to the tough spots. After my
installer  did the fully finished two story house with no useable
attic and on a cement slab, he's proved he can run and conceal a wire
anywhere.

Once a company/technician develops a method for protecting the
Andersen windows, it should be easy. Not quick, but easy.

Oh, and you should be prepared to pay a reasonable amount for the
work. Like my Chinese Grandfather says "Cheap stuff no good and good
stuff no cheap."

Julian.