Re: Electromagnetic Lock Installation

"Bob La Londe" <usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:BoOdnYTYIOapdu3fRVn-sg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> AHJs put their own spin of course, put a strike is more properly defined
> as
> an electrical mechincal release device.  Not an electro magnetic lock.  In
> facta  strike is not a lock at all.
>
> I do believe it may have been written to refer to flush mags which are cut
> into the door jamb and door.  When the mag engages the mag holds it in
> place
> and actual pins engage to prevent the door from being forced.  They are
> usually used on doors which swing in both directions.
>
> Wouldn't be the first time a beauracratic agency misinterpreted a word or
> application and tried to enforce soemthign it didn't say.  Do you have the
> equivelant of a state attorney?  You could write for a legal definition of
> the code as written along with your own arguements regarding the matter.
> Include pictures if you do.
>
> 1.  Definition of the terms electromagnetic and electromechanical.
> 2.  Explanation of how strikes are safe to use if installed properly in
> emergency egress situations.
> 3.  A diagram of a flush strike as a possible example of why the code was
> written that way.
> 4.  Diagram of a strike so show how it does not hold with magnetic force
> at
> all.  Nor is it in itself a locking device, but rather a lock releasing
> device.
>
> Of course.  If you do this successfully mail copies of your repleis to all
> offices beauracrats involved before you give them a black eye on a job
> site.
> If you just do it, and then throw it in their face you may never get a job
> approved again.

I agree with you on all points, Bob.  I'm not one of those who even wants to
distinguish themselves as having gone "head to head" with the AHJ and "won".
I have to work with these people so I try to follow what they say but I do
sometimes ask them to interpret something for me and discuss what I
understood it to say.  I'd prefer to have a "working relationship" with an
individual rather than one that involves confrontation and "having to go
over their heads to a higher authority".