Re: Electromagnetic Lock Installation

news:AuqdnfcJx55_He3fRVn-oA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Why?

Paragraph 3 of City of Vancouver Bulletin 95-10:

"An electromagnetic lock shall not incorporate latches, pins or other
similar devices to keep the door in the closed position."

Interpretation:  A door strike incorporates pins and latches, therefore it
can't be used.

> The solenoid strike doesn't prevent the user from exiting.  I wonder if
> we're not talking about two different animals.  By "strike" I mean the
> part that is attached to the door frame.  In it's normal (non-energized)
> state it behaves like any normal strike plate.  The door can be opened
> from within by turning the knob.  From the outside a regular key can open
> the door.  Under power the keeper is released and the door can be opened
> from the outside without a key.

You asked "why".  I don't argue with City Hall.  You can't use them in
Vancouver.

>> The bylaw also states that special hardware
>> must be used to open the door in an emergency
>> and that the door must release within 15
>> seconds of actuation...
>
> Similar rules apply here as well but solenoid door strikes are generally
> accepted without special door releasing devices because the door can still
> be opened in the normal manner with or without electrical power.

Solenoid door strikes on egress doors are not acceptable to the AHJ in
Vancouver.