Re: Fire Side Chat -- Fire Alarm Code Issue

> Like Bob Campbell, I've no inclination to spend the time looking it up.

So you're saying you don't really know for sure and this "storm in a teapot"
is based on the fact that you keep referring to a residential security
system (or an auto dialler) as a "listed FACP".  I have two copies of the
NEC here (a hard cover from 1999 and the subscription binder which is kept
current at our local library) and there is *NO* specific prohibition on
interconnecting an AC smoke alarm to a residential (or commercial) security
panel or auto dialler.  You cannot connect a smoke alarm to a listed FACP,
and that isn't what Al was suggesting in his article.  There's also no
provision for upgrading the status of a residential burg system to a "listed
FACP" with the connection of even listed fire detetection devices (which you
seem to *think* there is).  And no mention of using a control that's UL
Listed for fire in a monitored residential system that incorporates fire
detection.  The "UL Listing" is at best a method of "massaging" your
insurance company into believing you've got a "quality alarm product"
installed in your home and used as a sales tool by the local alarm company.
NEC (and the local AHJ) could care less what a company (or even a homeowner
doing DIY) installs as long as the wiring meets code and the detectors are
UL Listed for the purpose.