Re: CAT5e wiring question

In article <3PWGn.7322$h57.6221@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
 "Josepi" <J.R.M.@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In agreement with Steve, TV signals may not be broadcast on coax in the
> future. I am already using a LAN storage HDD and a media PC to display on my
> bigscreen TV/monitor over ethernet. A bedroom unit will be installed
> sometime to access the movies/music/ books etc. Perhaps one in the kitchen.
> Wife likes to download recipes and email while cooking. (yumm)
>
> Multimedia boxes are getting popular and cheap as are "slingboxes" to
> distribute your media storage database, as well as Internet around the house
> over Ethernet. Spend a few extra bucks. You may regret not doing it. I ran
> most of mine cat5 a few years ago and alrady I can see it was a "cheap out"
> mistake.
>
> Dual coax to some spots is a good idea, also. Dish in / RG-59 (sp?) out to
> the "watch the rest in bed" TV from the PVR.
>

> "Steve Fenwick" <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Unless you want to go back and do it again, run way more CAT6 (yes, use
> it!) than you think you need, especially if you aren't running coax
> (RG-6 quad shield) or HDMI for video. Lots of stuff can be run over
> spare CAT6 runs (video, audio, power, etc.)
>
> Steve

I actually ran 4x coax (RG-6 quad-shield and one RG-59) from the rack to
most rooms, as my runs are no longer accessible--entombed in the walls
with no ceiling or basement access possible--so I was hesitant to rely
on HDMI. I've had too many HDMI cables go bad. So I am using a mix of
component video (fine up to 1080p) for across-the-house and HDMI for
in-room, and slowly moving to IP-based.

Steve

--
steve <at> w0x0f <dot> com
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of