Re: CAT5e wiring question

On Wed, 12 May 2010 11:09:23 -0700 (PDT), Tom M
<thomas.a.meier@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I will soon be wiring a home network in my home, pulling a bunch of
> cat5e cables through the walls to a patch panel in the basement.  My
Use cat6 (Use 6e if it is a standard now).

Always put in two of each type of cable to each location.
For example, coax, Ethernet, fiber optic)  Second run is for
loopback testing and for when you find your phone company and
cable company each need separate Ethernet, etc.

If you do fiber optic, use single mode fiber optic.  Single mode
cables will work with multi-mode hardware for the short distances you
are likely to have in a home.  * * *Someone should say what type
of connectors to use * * *There were 4 main choices in 2004 when I
wired my house - two sizes and separate/combined for the two
directions - I don't know which of the 4 if preferable.  Fiber
connections should be factory made or made by REAL expert, even if the
cables are 2 or 3 times longer that why.  (Fiber is good for
kilometers rather than meters like Ethernet, so better to have good
connections.  For cost and neatness reasons you probably want less
than 50% extra length.)

Use "best" coax consistent with cable company requirements.  Often
this is outdoors rated cable.

If you run coax, use coax with (low voltage DC) power line included,
but use "best" signal rated if can't get both best signal rated
and low voltage DC in same cable.  If don't have (low voltage DC)
power with coax, run separate power cable.