In article
<fd39dfd2-f301-48da-9817-3e3a3be778ea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
 Tom M <thomas.a.meier@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On May 12, 4:10 pm, ady...@xxxxxxxxx (Al Dykes) wrote:
> > In article
> > <18379fcc-d4d6-4fdd-8779-64204cffd...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> > Tom M  <thomas.a.me...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > >Hello,
> >
> > >I will soon be wiring a home network in my home, pulling a bunch of
> > >cat5e cables through the walls to a patch panel in the basement.  My
> > >question is, before I start pulling the cables, are there any rules of
> > >thumb to be wary of?  Like don't run them next to electric wires or
> > >coax or speaker wires, etc.  Any thoughts appreciated.
> >
> > >Thanks!
> > >Tom
> >
> > Use solid wire and wall jacks. Don't use RJ plugs. Buy pre-made patch
> > cords.
> >
> > Future-proof your house by planning where to place wireless access
> > points that give you good 100% coverage everywhere. Given Power Over
> > Ethernet (POE), They can be located anywhere and out of sight.
> >
> > Pull wire to those spots even if you don't need a signal yet. Buy an
> > AP only when you need it.
> >
> > --
> > Al Dykes
> >  News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is
> > advertising.
> >     - Lord Northcliffe, publisher of the Daily Mail
>
> Thanks.  Right now, I only need a couple of spots wired.  But I figure
> while I'm doing this, might as well wire the whole house.
>
> What do you mean by don't use RJ plugs?  Aren't they on the end of the
> patch cords anyway?  Or do you mean don't attach the RJ plugs myself?
>
> Thanks
> Tom

Unless you want to go back and do it again, run way more CAT6 (yes, use
it!) than you think you need, especially if you aren't running coax
(RG-6 quad shield) or HDMI for video. Lots of stuff can be run over
spare CAT6 runs (video, audio, power, etc.)

Steve

--
steve <at> w0x0f <dot> com
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of