Re: CAT5e wiring question

On Sun, 16 May 2010 20:29:55 -0400, "Josepi" <J.R.M.@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> What would one do with fibre optic inside a house? Even the fibre optic
> companies convert to copper and back in their POP sites.
When we did out house in 2004 it looked like fiber optic 10GHz
"Ethernet" cards were going to be available for a reasonable cost
in a couple of years (i.e., by 2006) and would be useful for Ethernet
based storage as well as video.

I need to update my computers to support 10Gb network speeds, so
I haven't looked at 10Gb "Ethernet" cards in a long time and don't
know if fiber is yet the best option for 10Gb.  However, the
single-mode fiber optics cables will still be available for use
if in 20 years 100Gb or higher is appropriate; twisted pair or
coax that was available in 2004 is unlikely to work at those
speeds, so I may still use the fiber even though I stopped using
it after testing the installation in 2004.