Re: Help with 7 Circuit Project?

> I'm not arguing semantics. I'm saying flat out that you do not seem to
> have
> much knowledge of the topics you are expounding on.

Well we can argue this till we are blue in the face, I may not be the most
knowledgeable fellow on this topic but I know enough to keep the
conversation going, I know enough to teach professional dealers how to
design and install it,  and while I may make a typo from 121Khz to 120 KHz,
fine. That your opinion, and you are entitled to it.

> The fact that UPB has been licensed to other manufacturers hasn't done
> anything to lower the price. X-10 was also available from many
> manufacturers. Did that make it better?

You are wrong here.  When PCS originally shipped the light switches they
were selling over $150 retail. They intentionally priced them 25% cheaper
than Radio RA.  The price is dropping radically if you were paying
attention.  Simply automated was selling switches retail around $85 a
switch.  now they sell a 1000watt switch for under $70.  UPB is more of a
professionally driven product.  Programming is more diverse than X-10, and
you can do a lot of tricks with UPB that the X-10 switch does not allow.  It
is not a hobbyist product like X-10.

Other manufacturers did a lot to the X-10 products.  I would say a comment
like that says you are not as knowledgeable as you pass your self off to be.
Take Lightolier, They were the first company to develop and sell a solution
to make a professional X-10 installation bullet proof.  The compose and the
firewall, virtually eliminated noise and signal quality issues, but it
wasn't at a cost, the firewall cost upwards of a $1000, and they make the
most expensive X-10 light switches around $100 retail.  Leviton, brought
Intellisense DHC (Decora Home Controls).  Intellisense was an AGC circuit
deigned battle the noise commonly found in residential homes.  Did it work,
yes it worked well, but it was not perfect.  In my home I have a mix of
Leviton and X-10 brand switches.  I never have a problem with the Leviton
DHC switches.  The switches work wonderfully and the X-10 branded switches
work when they want to.  I dont have an option where the X-10 brands are
because I want a non-dimming switch and there is no neutral present.  Look
at Smarthome, they are making the X-10 switches better by incorporating a
dual technology.  So yes other manufacturers make it better and cheaper.

> In this context, your 4 digit password is just as secure as 128-bit
> encryption. Neither does a damn thing to prevent capture and playback of
> codes. If "rdjy5roigdpb8gv" floats your boat, it will float your boat no
> matter who sends it. Rolling codes are reasonably secure but are seldom
> used
> for anything other than garage doors and for arming/disarming security
> systems.

Well the point is they decreased the possibility of home to home
interference.

> I'm surprised to learn that UPB systems need a paid professional to
> troubleshoot them.

Most of the jobs, troubleshooting X-10 is more about not having filters,
repeaters and couplers.  On both X-10 and UPB jobs, it is usually the
installer was not properly trained and did not install the switches
correctly.

--
Brett Griffin, Home Technology Consultant

Architechtronics, Inc.
get to know home technologyT
p. (610) 825.7018 f (215) 827.5484

*top 10 reasons to use Architechtronics for your next project
http://www.architechtronics.com/top10.html

**keep up on cutting-edge technology... join "the EDGE" for free at
http://www.architectronics.com/edge.html