Re: Help with 7 Circuit Project?

I have an excellent grasp on both X-10 and UPB, I am hired frequently to
help dealers troubleshoot either system.  My training of dealers required me
to understand both systems, in order to teach and troubleshoot problems in
the field.  You and I arguing symantics is pointless, and is losing the
reader.

You are missing the entire point of the post.  I was merely explaining to
those in the US and Canada that they should seriously take another look at
UPB.  Of course, UPB will not work in Europe, it is not even compatible with
50 Hz.

All manufacturers for liability reasons are recommending couplers, there are
no repeaters.  PCS has determined only 8% of installations require a
coupler, and Manufacturers would rather be right 100% of the time than wrong
8 % of the time.  Recommending it reduces tech support calls.

You are right the password is merely a method to reduce cross talk between
home.  the are 256 house codes 256 unit address, and a 4 digit passcode for
the system that equates to 64,000 address, and if you throw in the passcode
in the mix, you could infer that there is 655 million possible combinations.
I would not say it is secure like a wireless network using a 128 bit
encryption.  As far as homeowner feedback, this is one area where no news is
good news.  You know if there were problems, they would show up in posts
here and everywhere.  It is new so we don't have many homeowner
testimonials, but no complaints with 18 months of installation has merit
worth considering.

I have not fully reviewed Insteon, but my concern would be that it is not
supported by any other manufacturer.  I use Leviton DHC and Simply Automated
UPB switches in my home.  Most home automation controllers are supporting
UPB and X-10.  My concern about Insteon is compatibility with HAI, Elk, Home
Logic, and others.  I hope it is easy and compatible, my only thoughts about
insteon, is "have they improved X-10" are they going to be susceptible to
noise like X-10?  Granted proper use of filter, couplers, and repeaters
nearly always make x10 reliable.

I have enjoyed this discussion, have a nice day.

--
Brett Griffin, Home Technology Consultant

Architechtronics, Inc.
get to know home technologyT
p. (610) 825.7018 f (215) 827.5484

*top 10 reasons to use Architechtronics for your next project
http://www.architechtronics.com/top10.html

**keep up on cutting-edge technology... join "the EDGE" for free at
http://www.architectronics.com/edge.html