Re: Cutting PVC trunking cleanly...

Another tip is to get a sharp Stanley knife and use that after the cut
to trim the burrs of plastic that you will inevitably get with slower blade
speeds of manual saws.

I've got a very good table saw in my workshop that will easily do a great
job - you're welcome to send it to me or drop by if you're in the area -
may not be practical though if you're cutting trunking to size in-place.

Paul.

On 13 Dec 2010, at 08:43, "Paul Gale" <groups2@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Oh, and I've cut many bits of trunking with a manual (cheap) mitre saw
- I find that it can be pretty accurate, even with the cheap, rusty old
blade. Lubricating with WD40 could help too.

<groups2@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>> If you don't want to spend anything/much, you could always make up
a cutting guide/box.

>> All you need is three bits of timber nailed/screwed together to
form a C section (just like the open trunking shape) and so that the
trunking is held securely. Then cut a 45 degree slot in the uprights.

>> You then use this as a guide with your existing saw to cut nice
neat 45 deg angles (or 90 deg angles with another slot). Pretty easy to
make.

>> You really need to make sure the saw is sharp though for best
results and has fine teeth / high teeth per inch.

<phil@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> I decided to take a shot at it today with my existing manual
mitre saw and I have to say it looks a bloody mess. :-)

>>> Obviously my old mitre saw has enough slop in it to completely
arse up even a basic 45 degree join so I may have to redo it (I have enough
trunking left I think)...

<stephen@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
trunking and support the sides while its being sawn with a mitre
harshly than standard saws (and they cut nearly everything).

that trunking is tricksy,

Screwfix of course...

device...

<mailto:tracey.gardner%40talktalk.net>>