Re: Cutting PVC trunking cleanly...

If you don't want to spend anything/much, you could always make up a
cutting guide/box.

All you need is three bits of timber nailed/screwed together to form a C
section (just like the open trunking shape) and so that the trunking is
held securely. Then cut a 45 degree slot in the uprights.

You then use this as a guide with your existing saw to cut nice neat 45 deg
angles (or 90 deg angles with another slot). Pretty easy to make.

You really need to make sure the saw is sharp though for best results and
has fine teeth / high teeth per inch.

Paul.

On 12 Dec 2010, at 23:27, "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I decided to take a shot at it today with my existing manual mitre saw
and I have to say it looks a bloody mess. :-)

> Obviously my old mitre saw has enough slop in it to completely arse up
even a basic 45 degree join so I may have to redo it (I have enough
trunking left I think)...

> Phil
>
> Sent from another bloody fruit-based portable device...
>
> On 12 Dec 2010, at 17:33, Stephen McGarry <stephen@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

>> A thought is to make a piece of wood to fit inside the trunking
and support the sides while its being sawn with a mitre
>> saw. The Evolution saws have a fine blade which cuts less harshly
than standard saws (and they cut nearly everything).

>> HTH
>> Stephen
>>
>> On 12/12/10 09:13, Peter + Jane wrote:
>>> I have a high end German sliding mitre saw and am
>>> near the end of a complicated self build. I have
>>> used the saw endlessly for plastic soil pipe and
>>> waste pipe. The trouble with trunking is it is a
>>> bit thin and flappy. You would need a very fine
>>> blade and would need to cut very slowly to avoid
>>> snatching, chipping or splintering. Hence my
>>> preference to mark with a pencil, cut with an
>>> angle grinder and then finesse back to the line.
>>> Simples!
>>> But each to their own!
>>> With a lot to do, an abrasive disc in a chop saw might be
ideal.
>>> Rgds
>>> Peter

device...