RE: Standalone CCTV DVRs

Indeed, I shall go & do some research on those components. I'd have to
say =
though, that just the mention of the name Belkin gives me pause... I've
had=
some fairly dissapointing experiences with their kit in the past.

=20

Paul G

=20
> To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> From: groups2@xxxxxxx
> Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 09:15:27 +0100
> Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Standalone CCTV DVRs
>=20
> That's interesting Martyn.
>=20
> Do the ports properly retain their com port numbering properly over a
num=
ber of reboots? That was the problem I found when using a number of simple
=
USB to serial converters. I guess your hardware is very different in
operat=
ion though.=20
>=20
> Paul.
>=20
Belkin)
> > are:
> >=20
> > 3 * Quasar temp sensor boards
> > 2 * serial controlled kit (cctv switcher and video switcher)
> > 1 * Nokia 6210 (sms use)
> >=20
> > On the other Belkin USB ports I'll shortly be migrating:
> >=20
> > USB weather station
> > USB RFXCOM 434 RX
> > USB RFXCOM 434 TX
> > USB RFXCOM 868 RX
> >=20
> > All will be accessed under different VMs in theory.
> >=20
> > The RS232 stuff all seems to work ok, I can't see why the other
USB
> > stuff
> > won't as although they're all USB they all install as virtual
comm
> > ports....
> >=20
> > Might be something to consider?
> >=20
> >=20
> > Martyn
> >=20
> >=20
the physical
> > devices
> > and the various bits of software that need to access them... - I
guess
> > it
> > just depends on whether or not such a solution is economically
> > feasible... -
> > =A3500-odd for a serial-over-IP box would pretty much rule it out
of
> > contention unless & until I win the lottery!
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> > Paul G.
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> > > To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> > > From: paul_gordon@xxxxxxx
> > > Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 18:19:09 +0100
> > > Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Standalone CCTV DVRs
> > >

> > > That's something I'd not thought of, - I've used these in
the dim &
> > > distant...
> > >

> > > Wouldn't I probably have that same problem with driver
support
> > though? -
> > > don't such devices generally require a driver on the machine
> > accessing the
> > > ports over the LAN to emulate a virtual COM port?
> > >

> > > The other thing I'd imagine is probably the case, is that I
bet an 8-
> > port
> > > network RS232 server would be considerably more expensive
than an 8-
> > port
> > > PCI card...
> > >

> > > Obviously I was hoping to re-utilise the PCI RS232 card that
> > already
> > > have, but I wouldn't be averse to purchasing some other card
/
> > external
> > > box, provided it was a sensible price, and that it's
guaranteed to
> > work as
> > > required.
> > >

> > > Paul G.