RE: Standalone CCTV DVRs

I don't think so, as it's Linux-only isn't it? - wouldn't be a problem
runn=
ing another Linux VM, but then the same problem exists with acessing the
ha=
rdware from within the guest OS. Note that as I've previously been using
Ge=
ovision I already have a number of fixed CCTV cameras that I don't want to
=
have to rip out & replace with IP ones - that would double the price
(IP ca=
m's are dearer than a similarly specified CCTV cam, so I'd probably have
to=
spend a minimum of =A3150 per camera to install all IP ones, and I have 4 =
currently installed that would need replacing).

=20

Note that I pretty much *have* to run Windows as the host OS, as one of
the=
VM's I intend to run is for Homeseer HA software. I have a multitude of RS=
232-connected devices feeding in to that, so I need to provide the guest
VM=
with *lots* of serial ports. That's not a problem per se, - pretty much ev=
ery hypervisor allows mapping COM ports to the guests, - but they they
stil=
l have to be physically present, and supported by the host OS in order to
d=
o that... I have a PCI 8-port serial card which I can be pretty certain is
=
never going to work under ESXi - the supported hardware for that is
"thin" =
to say the least! - I have windows drivers for it though, so I just need
to=
test & confirm that the drivers will work under 2008 server and
64-bit... =
(the vendor has provided 64-bit Vista drivers to try, hopefully with pukka
=
2008 ones to follow fairly soon).

=20

Currently I'm looking at something like this one, which seems to tick
prett=
y much all the right boxes...

=20

http://www.cctvdirect.co.uk/products/Satalite-365-8-Ch-High-Resolution-Real=
-Time-High-End-DVR.html#

=20

Paul G.

=20

=20
> To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> From: vworpi@xxxxxxx
> Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 11:58:11 +0100
> Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Standalone CCTV DVRs
>=20
> I'm not a user myself, but is Zoneminder an option for you?
> Max
>=20
> 2009/6/7 Paul Gordon <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
>=20
> >

> > I've been a long time Geovision user, and I have no complaints
about th=
at,
> > - but... the impossibility of running this system under any
64-bit OS, =
or of
> > running it in a virual machine (since there is no hypervisor
available =
that
> > I know of that will allow a PCI or PCIe hardware device to be
mapped th=
rough
> > to a VM), is now just holding me back too much with what I want
to do t=
> > upgrade my I.T infrastructure; namely to upgrade to Win 2008 R2
(which =
is 64
> > bit only) with the improved Hyper-V and run several VM's for
applicatio=
> > specific services...
> >
> > Thus I'm forced into looking for an alternative standalone
hardware (no=
n PC
> > based) DVR, *OR* a PC based solution that IS supported under 64
bit Win
> > 2008... I'm favouring the former option, - but boy is there a
bewilderi=
ng
> > choice available!
> >
> > So, I put it out to you lot: -- does anyone on this list already
run a
> > standalone CCTV DVR? - If so, what make & model? - What do
you think of=
it?
> > - would you recommend it to someone else?
> >
> > What I want is a device that pretty much perfectly replicates the
Geovi=
sion
> > experience:
> >
> > 4 or 8 channel, with sound
> >
> > Motion activated recording with user-definable pre & post
record buffer=

> > Ability to mask off parts of the image (trees etc) to avoid false
motio=
> > detection
> >
> > Networkable with built-in webserver - view any camera via any
browser -
> > including mobile
> >
> > can send email via SMTP to report various events
> >
> > date & time stamped recordings to satisfy evidence
requirements

> > built-in hard drive (or just a bay to fit my own)
> >
> > Some means of copying recordings off for permanent storage
(either via =
USB,
> > LAN, or built-in DVD)
> >
> > Automatic storage management (ability to specify no of days to
keep
> > recordings etc.)
> >
> > Ideally a couple of I/O ports to connect it to security panel to
signal=
an
> > external system
> >
> > And it needs to be in the Geovision price range, - i.e around the
=A340=
0-ish
> > mark, - not some ludicrously expensive =A3900 job!
> >
> > Anyone got any thoughts or recommendations to narrow down my
search? -
> > there are just so many results in Google that it's going to take
me lif=
etime