Re: Kitchen Extension - what to automate?

I'd run Cat5 to everywhere you'd expect to have an appliance, wireless
might work, but wired would be more reliable. Hell, run two cable to
each spot, you wouldn't want to run out... mentioning no names... ;-)

I've not gone that far though, but I have run 2x cat5 to the light
switch point, and 3xCat5 plus 1x coax to behind the fridge. From there
I can extend to anywhere else. I'm expecting to put a small
touchscreen in there soon (an ePod), so power + network will be fine.

What about lighting? ceiling lights, yes, but what about under
cupboard lighting, both at worktop level and floor level. Couple that
with a PIR and some timer-smarts you can get only some lights to come
on if you pop down for a glass of water at 2am etc.

IIRC, one of the Andys added some nice LEDs to his kitchen. The
archive appears down at the moment so I can't find the relevant
post...

HTH,

Tim.