RE: [OT] DVD ripping using multiplke firewire drives ?

  • Subject: RE: [OT] DVD ripping using multiplke firewire drives ?
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 22:45:23 -0000

> > Unless you are recompressing your DVDs then 15 minutes isn't
> > too far out - with a decent DVD drive and an Athlon XP 2400 I
> > would get through about three discs an hour (ripping to a
> > local drive).
>
> Ah, ok, thanks.

To ensure that the movie drives on the server remained as contiguous as
possible I would usually rip a raft of movies across three machines in an
evening and then before going to bed set them all copying their movies up
the server to three separate network drives.

> > (believe me - I know - I've ripped my collection
> > of about 400 movies three times now - once when I was using
> > Windows as a server, once again when Windows fubar'd the data
> > on the drives and so I moved to Linux and then the last time
> > was when Linux began to fubar the data and I jumped ship to the
Mac).

> Yes, I thought you'd done it more than once.....

:-)

> > One thing that I wondered about was using one of these:
> >

> http://cgi.ebay.com/POWERFILE-C200-FIREWIRE-DVD-CD-CHANGER_W0QQitemZ8744
> 034125QQcategoryZ3754QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>
> Looks good. Would you use it as a ripping machine or just to serve up
> the original disks? Didn't you have a DVD changer once?

The idea would have been to use it just for ripping because my aim is to
have the ability to play pretty much any movie in any room of the house at
any time and using the PowerFile as a simple DVD changer for playback would
mean only two movies could be played at a time (the powerfile has two DVD
drives in it normally although there were some "cheap" single
drive units).

Phil