RE: Mobile broadband and CCTV

Hi Tim,

I do just that, so have some experience.

I have a Huawei B260 3G router rather than a dongle, and on the network I
have Comfort, a low power Aleutia PC (running my 1-wire stuff and allowing
access to WizComfort etc) and the CCTV DVR.

To start with I have to admit that my connection is not good as I am in a
very rural area in Ireland and have a booster installed (which I'm not sure
makes much difference, but it has a smashing blue light!)

So, the minimum data registered on a daily basis is 0.05Mb, which
presumabl=
is just "ticking over".  On days when the PC sends a temperature
update
e-mail (500kb) this seems to rise to about 1.5Mb (presumably due to the
poo=
connection)

As for accessing CCTV - I do not do it very often, and have also had to
abort the idea of accessing the DVR directly via a DynDNS server because of
problems getting the ports to forward correctly over the mobile broadband.
Instead I use Teamviewer to access the remote PC and run locally from
there=
.
This probably might give a better internet utilisation because TeamViewer
adapts the quality to connection speed, whereas the DVR probably won=92t.

So, in the month when I had just finished commissioning the system and
returned home and probably used the CCTV the most (about 10 days visiting)
=
used a total of 1.2Gb.  Now one day accounts for about half of that and I
cannot remember what I did that day to make it so high.

Hope that helps.  When I get my next bill I'll have a closer look as I know
when I've looked at things most recently.