RE: [OT] DVD ripping using multiplke firewire drives ?

  • Subject: RE: [OT] DVD ripping using multiplke firewire drives ?
  • From: "christopher purves" <CHRIS_PURVES@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 07:58:33 +0000

Morning - I had a look at the powerfile but I don't think you can mount
DVD's on it for ripping out of the box. Powerfile do seel a SDK but its
$$$.
I know Kaleidescape use them to batch import movies though via a shuttle PC
so it must be possible somehow. If you could get around that it would be
perfect - even better if a few people could club together to get a
'solution' together.

Chris

>From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxx>
>To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: RE: [ukha_d] [OT] DVD ripping using multiplke firewire drives
?
>Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 22:45:23 -0000
>

> > > Unless you are recompressing your DVDs then 15 minutes isn't
> > > too far out - with a decent DVD drive and an Athlon XP 2400
> > > would get through about three discs an hour (ripping to a
> > > local drive).
> >
> > Ah, ok, thanks.
>
>To ensure that the movie drives on the server remained as contiguous as
>possible I would usually rip a raft of movies across three machines in
an
>evening and then before going to bed set them all copying their movies
up
>the server to three separate network drives.
>
> > > (believe me - I know - I've ripped my collection
> > > of about 400 movies three times now - once when I was using
> > > Windows as a server, once again when Windows fubar'd the
data
> > > on the drives and so I moved to Linux and then the last time
> > > was when Linux began to fubar the data and I jumped ship to
the Mac).

> > Yes, I thought you'd done it more than once.....
>
>:-)
>
> > > One thing that I wondered about was using one of these:
> > >

> > http://cgi.ebay.com/POWERFILE-C200-FIREWIRE-DVD-CD-CHANGER_W0QQitemZ8744
> > 034125QQcategoryZ3754QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
> >
> > Looks good. Would you use it as a ripping machine or just to
serve up
> > the original disks? Didn't you have a DVD changer once?
>
>The idea would have been to use it just for ripping because my aim is
>have the ability to play pretty much any movie in any room of the house
at
>any time and using the PowerFile as a simple DVD changer for playback
would
>mean only two movies could be played at a time (the powerfile has two
DVD