Re: Re: How to get Caller ID into a PC from an ntl line...?

Andrew Kilgore wrote:

>Hi Guys,
>
>Thanks for the help/advice
>

>>The Meteor will only work on the standard V23 based UK CID as
implemented

>by BT
>

>>so before going this route it may be worth checking that one of the
really

>cheap CID unit -
>

>>eg the ones on eBay for £2 work ok....
>>

>OK, I'm a little confused...
>When you say "as implemented by BT" is this the same as BT's
>standard/format...?

Yes...

>The reason I ask is that I have tested a few phones (BT, Binatone) and
also
>a cheap CID unit from eBay (which was bought for modding) on the line
and
>they all pick up the CID just fine.

That's just what I meant... it means it is using the same CID format as
BT implement then (rather than any US variant which some NTL areas
apparently use) - which also means a Metoer would work fine...

>The only thing that does not pick up the
>CID is my external modem (Pace Solo 56). Can anyone make sense of
this...?

In my experience UK CID modems are fairly hit and miss - but I know
James uses a Pace that works 100% on CID (and even has a xAP application
for it) so I'm guessing it should work.  There are some init strings you
have to send to the Pace to enable CID reporting ... but I assume you've
sent those correctly....(IIRC they are slightly non standard)

>I think the first thing to try is to mod the CID box I bought from
eBay.
>Actually I bought 6, such is my confidence in my soldering skills...!?!
;o)

Great - let us know how you get on.. as a few people would love to do
this. The data you get out of such a modded unit will be the full CLIP
packet as sent by BT so it may need a bit interpreting (the spec is
published as a SIN document by BT and the prev posted link will get you
to the appropriate doc). The number is sent as clear text and from
memory there's flags for other bits of info within the packet and a
checksum too to validate the overall data.

Also interested if the multiple units interfere with each other at all .
This can happen with the 'message waiting/1571' capable units which I
think are the ones on eBay as each one takes the line 'offhook' for a
brief period after any call to listen for interrupted dialtone which
indicates messages waiting. If two+ units do this automatically then the
line constantly goes on/off hook as each triggers the other.

Kevin

>Thanks,
>Andy.
>
>On 11/5/05, Kevin Hawkins <lists@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>I believe that NTL actually implement two different forms of CID
>>depending on which area you live in - The Meteor will only work on
the
>>standard V23 based UK CID as implemented by BT so before going this
>>route it may be worth checking that one of the really cheap CID
unit -
>>eg the ones on eBay for £2 work ok.... The Meteor also doesn't
supply
>>'call waiting CID' - just in case you expected it for that price
;-)

>>http://www.ainslie.org.uk/callerid/cli_faq.htm#Q_6
>>
>>Kevin
>>
>>rb_ziggy wrote:
>>

>>>Andrew
>>>
>>>The Meteor CTI (hardware only) can be had from Pathway Data for
£80
>>>(well £100 with postage & VAT). You dont need any of the
software if