Re: How to get Caller ID into a PC from an ntl line...?

  • Subject: Re: How to get Caller ID into a PC from an ntl line...?
  • From: "Patrick Lidstone" <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 12:54:10 -0000

> Also interested if the multiple units interfere with each other at
all .
> This can happen with the 'message waiting/1571' capable units which I
> think are the ones on eBay as each one takes the line 'offhook' for a
> brief period after any call to listen for interrupted dialtone which
> indicates messages waiting. If two+ units do this automatically then
the
> line constantly goes on/off hook as each triggers the other.

Are you sure? It isn't technically necessary to go off-hook to detect
message waiting as there is a message waiting facility message as part
of the SIN which can be sent by the exchange independently of any
incoming call (ie no need for the phone to actually ring). Whether
this is supported by BT in real life, I don't know.

Patrick