Re: Re: How to get Caller ID into a PC from an ntl line...?

Hi Kevin,

In my experience UK CID modems are fairly hit and miss - but I know
> James uses a Pace that works 100% on CID (and even has a xAP
application
> for it) so I'm guessing it should work. There are some init strings
you
> have to send to the Pace to enable CID reporting ... but I assume
you've
> sent those correctly....(IIRC they are slightly non standard)

Init strings ya say...? Nope, haven't tried those...
I just thought it should work out of the box as (in standalone mode) the
Solo is supposed to announce the number and fancy stuff like that...
Will have a hunt for these init strings you talk of, however if James is
about perhaps he could give me a helping hand...?!?

Many thanks,
Andy.

On 11/7/05, Kevin Hawkins <lists@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Andrew Kilgore wrote:
>
> >Hi Guys,
> >
> >Thanks for the help/advice
> >

> >>The Meteor will only work on the standard V23 based UK CID as
> implemented
> >>

> >by BT
> >

> >>so before going this route it may be worth checking that one
of the
> really
> >>

> >cheap CID unit -
> >

> >>eg the ones on eBay for =A32 work ok....
> >>

> >OK, I'm a little confused...
> >When you say "as implemented by BT" is this the same as
BT's
> >standard/format...?
> >

> Yes...
>
> >The reason I ask is that I have tested a few phones (BT, Binatone)
and
> also
> >a cheap CID unit from eBay (which was bought for modding) on the
line an=
> >they all pick up the CID just fine.
> >

> That's just what I meant... it means it is using the same CID format
as
> BT implement then (rather than any US variant which some NTL areas
> apparently use) - which also means a Metoer would work fine...
>
> >The only thing that does not pick up the
> >CID is my external modem (Pace Solo 56). Can anyone make sense of
> this...?
> >

> In my experience UK CID modems are fairly hit and miss - but I know
> James uses a Pace that works 100% on CID (and even has a xAP
application
> for it) so I'm guessing it should work. There are some init strings
you
> have to send to the Pace to enable CID reporting ... but I assume
you've
> sent those correctly....(IIRC they are slightly non standard)
>
> >I think the first thing to try is to mod the CID box I bought from
eBay.
> >Actually I bought 6, such is my confidence in my soldering
skills...!?!
> ;o)
> >

> Great - let us know how you get on.. as a few people would love to do
> this. The data you get out of such a modded unit will be the full CLIP
> packet as sent by BT so it may need a bit interpreting (the spec is
> published as a SIN document by BT and the prev posted link will get
you
> to the appropriate doc). The number is sent as clear text and from
> memory there's flags for other bits of info within the packet and a
> checksum too to validate the overall data.
>
> Also interested if the multiple units interfere with each other at all
.
> This can happen with the 'message waiting/1571' capable units which I
> think are the ones on eBay as each one takes the line 'offhook' for a
> brief period after any call to listen for interrupted dialtone which
> indicates messages waiting. If two+ units do this automatically then
the
> line constantly goes on/off hook as each triggers the other.
>
> Kevin
>
> >Thanks,
> >Andy.
> >
> >On 11/5/05, Kevin Hawkins <lists@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> >>I believe that NTL actually implement two different forms of
CID
> >>depending on which area you live in - The Meteor will only
work on the
> >>standard V23 based UK CID as implemented by BT so before going
this
> >>route it may be worth checking that one of the really cheap
CID unit -
> >>eg the ones on eBay for =A32 work ok.... The Meteor also
doesn't supply
> >>'call waiting CID' - just in case you expected it for that
price ;-)

> >>http://www.ainslie.org.uk/callerid/cli_faq.htm#Q_6
> >>
> >>Kevin

Data for =A380