Re: Starting over

On 7/13/2012 2:26 PM, Pat wrote:
> I haven't seen much activity in this group lately, so I thought I
> would ask a question.
>
> After decades of using X-10, I want to start over with something more
> modern.  Insteon is one possibility.  Based on the emails I received
> from SmartHome, you would think they are the only ones around.
> However, I know there are devices based on Zigbee, Z-wave, etc.  Who
> sells devices based on those standards?  Since X-10 lasted over 3
> decades for me, I would like something that will be around for a
> while.  Either RF based or combo powerline/RF will be considered.  Is
> there something just around the corner I should wait for?  My X-10
> stuff is still working as of right now thanks to an XTB box added a
> few years ago, but it is getting harder to find new stuff that
> supports X-10.  For example, SmartHome's LED light bulbs with built in
> Insteon seem like a good idea and I doubt X-10 versions will be
> available.  Failures are becoming more common, too.  A old yellowed
> Radio Shack labeled "universal interface" just failed yesterday.
>
> So, what would you pick if you were starting over with automation
> today?
>
> Thanks,
> Pat
>
> (Please respond here as my email address is fake.)

I think I was the only traffic on this site in the past week, so I
thought I'd chime in again.  I too, have had x10 stuff since it was 1st
marketed.  I started using the CP290 box to control everything.  I
graduated to the 1132CU some time ago.  The human interface isn't
exactly my favorite, but it does work.  I use a work-around for the
daylight/standard time problem.   I use the 'plus' software, which
allows some if/thens, etc.  When my 1132CU died last week, I looked for
a replacement.  I really didn't want to change out everything.  I know
the Insteon system can use the X10 modules, but I hesitate learning a
new "language".  Smarthome still had the 1132CUs on their web site, so I
ordered one.  An email said they were back ordered.  I live communicated
with them on their web site and was told they were completely
discontinued ... even though they sent the email and held the money on
my credit card.  So, I searched further.  I did find some
"entrepreneurs" selling them at over $200.  I finally found someone with
2 new ones at a reasonable price.  I now have them and one is
controlling my house.  The other is the insurance policy.   I might have
made the quantum jump away from X10 if I still lived in my old house
(western suburbs of Chicago) where it was not as reliable as here.
There, I couldn't even use the X10 coupler/repeater (XPCR) as it would
try to interpret noise and send out random X10 commands.  Here, it works
flawlessly.  Maybe they've made some improvements in it, but I don't
think so.   So, all in all, I guess I'm sticking with 1132CU/X10 for the
foreseeable future.