Re: Starting over

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 18:46:19 -0400, Art Todesco <actodesco@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>On 7/13/2012 2:26 PM, Pat wrote:
>> I haven't seen much activity in this group lately, so I thought I
>> would ask a question.
>>
>> After decades of using X-10, I want to start over with something more
>> modern.  Insteon is one possibility.  Based on the emails I received
>> from SmartHome, you would think they are the only ones around.
>> However, I know there are devices based on Zigbee, Z-wave, etc.  Who
>> sells devices based on those standards?  Since X-10 lasted over 3
>> decades for me, I would like something that will be around for a
>> while.  Either RF based or combo powerline/RF will be considered.  Is
>> there something just around the corner I should wait for?  My X-10
>> stuff is still working as of right now thanks to an XTB box added a
>> few years ago, but it is getting harder to find new stuff that
>> supports X-10.  For example, SmartHome's LED light bulbs with built in
>> Insteon seem like a good idea and I doubt X-10 versions will be
>> available.  Failures are becoming more common, too.  A old yellowed
>> Radio Shack labeled "universal interface" just failed yesterday.
>>
>> So, what would you pick if you were starting over with automation
>> today?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Pat
>>
>> (Please respond here as my email address is fake.)
>>
>I think I was the only traffic on this site in the past week, so I
>thought I'd chime in again.  I too, have had x10 stuff since it was 1st
>marketed.  I started using the CP290 box to control everything.  I
>graduated to the 1132CU some time ago.  The human interface isn't
>exactly my favorite, but it does work.  I use a work-around for the
>daylight/standard time problem.   I use the 'plus' software, which
>allows some if/thens, etc.  When my 1132CU died last week, I looked for
>a replacement.  I really didn't want to change out everything.  I know
>the Insteon system can use the X10 modules, but I hesitate learning a
>new "language".  Smarthome still had the 1132CUs on their web site, so I
>ordered one.  An email said they were back ordered.  I live communicated
>with them on their web site and was told they were completely
>discontinued ... even though they sent the email and held the money on
>my credit card.  So, I searched further.  I did find some
>"entrepreneurs" selling them at over $200.  I finally found someone with
>2 new ones at a reasonable price.  I now have them and one is
>controlling my house.  The other is the insurance policy.   I might have
>made the quantum jump away from X10 if I still lived in my old house
>(western suburbs of Chicago) where it was not as reliable as here.
>There, I couldn't even use the X10 coupler/repeater (XPCR) as it would
>try to interpret noise and send out random X10 commands.  Here, it works
>flawlessly.  Maybe they've made some improvements in it, but I don't
>think so.   So, all in all, I guess I'm sticking with 1132CU/X10 for the
> [...]

I also used a CP290 for years and still have two of them in a drawer.
Like you, I purchased two as insurance.  I also bought two 1132CU's,
but lost one to a lightning strike a few years ago.  The other one is
still working, but when it goes, I will be stuck with a lot of useless
software.  I currently use the "plus" software to download a schedule
into the 1132CU, but have my own software that talks to it for live
commands.  I never did figure out the protocol for downloading
schedules, but I can send it things like A1 On, A2 Dim, etc.

Pat