Starting over

I haven't seen much activity in this group lately, so I thought I
would ask a question.

After decades of using X-10, I want to start over with something more
modern.  Insteon is one possibility.  Based on the emails I received
from SmartHome, you would think they are the only ones around.
However, I know there are devices based on Zigbee, Z-wave, etc.  Who
sells devices based on those standards?  Since X-10 lasted over 3
decades for me, I would like something that will be around for a
while.  Either RF based or combo powerline/RF will be considered.  Is
there something just around the corner I should wait for?  My X-10
stuff is still working as of right now thanks to an XTB box added a
few years ago, but it is getting harder to find new stuff that
supports X-10.  For example, SmartHome's LED light bulbs with built in
Insteon seem like a good idea and I doubt X-10 versions will be
available.  Failures are becoming more common, too.  A old yellowed
Radio Shack labeled "universal interface" just failed yesterday.

So, what would you pick if you were starting over with automation
today?

Thanks,
Pat

(Please respond here as my email address is fake.)