Re: X10 PC Interface upgrade

"Art Todesco" <actodesco@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:hu0bki$ucj$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I started with X10 when no one knew what X10 was.  The early modules
> were not very reliable.  These were the old brown units, which I
> actually still have a few.  I had a "timer" unit to control the
> on/offs.  Then a CP290.  I went from the CP290 directly to the 1132
> because I could never get it to work correctly with Windows, probably
> 98, but maybe it was ME (yuk).

So you never even tried the CM15A USB based controller? That is supposed
to work with Windows though I could not confirm what version of Windows.
I have a suspicion that they stopped upgrading its software with Windows
95. But you're right about those old X10 modules, especially the lamp
modules. They seldom lasted long. I started with X-10 around '84 and did
not upgrade much beyond getting newer modules. I remember that in the
old days X10 was not recommending the use of their modules with
flurescent lights. Has that changed? It would have to, with the "green"
campaign to replace incandescent lights with fluorescent ones.

> As for XP going the way of DOS, I don't see that happening in my house
> real soon. Microsoft saw to that when they came out with Vista.
> Windows 7 looks good, but really, what does it do other than automatic
> side by side windows (according to their commercials that's all they
> seem to be able to tout).  I think my laptop will never do anything
> but XP.

Well, 64-bit PCs will be the main computing platforms soon and Windows 7
helps to spread it. So we might as well get on with the program. ;-)