Re: X10 PC Interface upgrade

On 5/25/2010 11:30 PM, Dabbler wrote:
> My old DOS based CP290 controller is long overdue for upgrade so I don't
> have to keep a DOS partition just for that purpose. What is considered
> the most popular Windows and USB based replacement controller for it
> that would work with existing X10 devices? I found one on smarthome.com
> that looks like it might do the job but it concerns me that its software
> is not being upgraded to more recent Windows version than XP. Here is a
> link for the Smarthome PowerLinc Controller:
>
> <http://www.smarthome.com/1132CU/PowerLinc-Controller-USB-Based-Home-Automation-Device/p.aspx>
>

> Does anybody have experiece with it?

I have this unit an am happy with it
.... sort of.  Smarthome calls this unit
legacy, but continues to sell it.  They
have NOT fixed any of the problems with
it, such as the new Daylight Savings
dates and as you point out, the newer
OS.  Therefore, one must use somewhat
clumsy workarounds to make it work.
There seems to also be problems with
noise if you leave the USB cord
connected.  This causes the internal
clock to go nuts.  This appears to
happen even if the USB cord is just
dangling in the air.  I would like the
upgraded software to do some fancier
"if-thens", but I refuse to pay SM for
their crippled product.  But, that all
said, I still use the unit and it serves
me well except that you have to "obey"
its idiotsyncracies.