Re: Napco Quickloader with GEM-RS232 Not Working

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 18:38:21 -0700 (PDT), John R <IntelliSig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote
in message
<80e0e512-0735-4be9-bb74-c3f7946505b1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>I can't get the Quickloder software to see the panel. I have never
>used Quickloader under Vista. Does anyone know if it works under
>Vista? Any advice?
>
>When I try to download from the panel it says "timeout". GEM-RS232 is
>connected via CAT5 and the supplied DB9 connectors to COM1 on my
>computer. I have a PCI modem as COM3.

John wrote:  "GEM-RS232 is connected via CAT5 ..."

The cable provided to me by Napco for both the PCI-Mini and GEM-RS232 is/was
a six-conductor satin cable wired straight through (Pin1 to Pin 1 Pin2 to Pin
2 etc) --   not CAT5. If you substituted, are you sure it is straight
through?

Is there a cable between the serial port on your computer and the GEM-RS232?

If so, it too needs to be straight through (not with TX-RX crossed).

If not, it is unclear to me what you mean by "supplied DB9 connectors"> The
DB9 on the GEM is what connects to the PC, not the six-conductor ribbon.

Is the serial port native COM1 RS-232  (i.e., not USB->RS-232 converter)?

In either case, does it show up as working in Device Manager?

HTH ... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org