Re: CFL question - dimming CFLs any good with X-10 dimmers ?

windcrest<passp...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>> <935fea77-4365-455d-9620-3ea4fa621...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>> >I've had bad luck with the dimmable CFL's, I bought 9 of them for my
>> >kitchen cans (6 inch cans with floods) all 9 died within 8 months.
>> >The nearby halogens (also in 6 inch cans) are going on 8 years!  If
>> >you get dimmable CFL's save your receipts and they will guarantee the
>> >bulbs, I unfortunately did not save the receipt.  ASnother quirk is
>> >they only react to the upper 40 percent of the dimmer switch, then
>> >they drop out completely, IOW they do dim ok but you will only have
>> >40% of your dimmer range available from full to off.  My dimmer is the
>> >Leviton 1000 watt X10 unit.
>>
>> Are these nine, identical, no-name CFL's not designed to be used
>> base-up in enclosed cans?
>>
>> Or nine different CFL models all intended for use in 6-inch cans?
>>
>> (It's hard to assess the applicability/usefulness of your experience
>> without some more specifics.)
>>
>> I installed Philips brand CFL "Marathon Reflector Flood Dim" EL/A R40 Dim
>> 20W" in the kitchen several years ago.
>>
>> They are _designed_ for base-up, enclosed operation and the resulting heat
>> build-up.
>>
>>         - None have failed.
>>         - None have turned dark.
>>         - All still dim nicely
>>         - Yes, the dimmer curves are different than for incandescent lamps
>>         - Yes,  the color temperature (~3200K) remains constant when
>>               dimmed rather than turning yellow as do incandescents lamps.
>>
>> I don't know what is meant by "40% of your dimmer range".  In terms
>> of light output, IIRC, I found that the name-brand dimmable CFLs I tested
>> provided 3-4 F-stops (measured with a light meter) of dimming which
>> corresponds to Full Output and 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 or (barely) 1/16 of full
>> output - which in turn corresponds to 100%, 50%, 25%, 12%, and 6% of full
>> light output.
>>
>> And yes, do save your receipts.
>>
>> HTH ... Marc
>> Marc_F_Hult
>> www.ECOntrol.org

>They were floods so I would assume almost always be mounted base up.

Yes -- although use as floodlights for eg yard lights is another common use.
The X-10 Socket Rocket is another device intended for base-up use that also
tends to fail because of heat.

>By 40% I meant bsed on the LED bar on my dimmer, the 6th LED was
>coming on before the bulb fired at all, so the 7th through 10th LED
>(40%) reflected the total range of actual controlability.  As the
>dimmer was passing through LED's 1-5 the bulb stayed off completely
>and never fired the gasses, even in a dark room.

Now I understand. Yes, the dimmer curves are different. X % of rotation, or
of slide travel, or of button taps does not necessarily translate into X % of
light output. If you only have four discrete settings on your dimmer that
work, that is indeed a limitation,  but it is one caused by your dimmer, not
the CFL. The output of dimmable CFLs is continuously dimmable.  I have been
experimenting with LED and CFL floods mixed with halogens. The LED floods I
have dimmer curves similar to the CFLs. I can set the minimum value
independently for each dimmer. The LED cans also have about the same total
dimming range ( about four stops) as the CFLs.

>They were the Home
>Depot brand with the green printing in that "impossible to open"
>plastic sound-welded packaging.

Are the same bulbs being sold? I'd return them to Home Despot with or without
a receipt and ask for whatever the warranty on the package states. Wait till
the next time you need to go there anyway.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org