Re: CFL question - dimming CFLs any good with X-10 dimmers ?

On Jun 11, 2:58=A0pm, Marc_F_Hult <MFH...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 20:17:51 -0700 (PDT), windcrest<passp...@windcrestsof=
tware.com> wrote in message

> <935fea77-4365-455d-9620-3ea4fa621...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>

> >On Jun 7, 4:19=A0pm, "Pico" <p...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Well as the title says, I am curious if there are any glitches using t=
he
> >> Dimmable CFLs with X-10 or Smarthome modules. =A0 I don't need dimming=
 but I
> >> don't want to replace all my wall dimmers with wall mounted relays.
>
> >> Anyone found a good brand of CFL twists that are dimmable ? =A0Sylvani=
a make
> >> a couple but I think they are spots.
>
> >I've had bad luck with the dimmable CFL's, I bought 9 of them for my
> >kitchen cans (6 inch cans with floods) all 9 died within 8 months.
> >The nearby halogens (also in 6 inch cans) are going on 8 years! =A0If
> >you get dimmable CFL's save your receipts and they will guarantee the
> >bulbs, I unfortunately did not save the receipt. =A0ASnother quirk is
> >they only react to the upper 40 percent of the dimmer switch, then
> >they drop out completely, IOW they do dim ok but you will only have
> >40% of your dimmer range available from full to off. =A0My dimmer is the
> >Leviton 1000 watt X10 unit.
>
> Are these nine, identical, no-name CFL's not designed to be used base-up =
in
> enclosed cans?
>
> Or nine different CFL models all intended for use in 6-inch cans?
>
> (It's hard to assess the applicability/usefulness of your experience with=
out
> some more specifics.)
>
> I installed Philips brand CFL "Marathon Reflector Flood Dim" EL/A R40 Dim
> 20W" in the kitchen several years ago.
>
> They are _designed_ for base-up, enclosed operation and the resulting hea=
> build-up.
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 - None have failed.
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 - None have turned dark.
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 - All still dim nicely
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 - Yes, the dimmer curves are different than for incandesc=
ents lamps
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 - Yes, =A0the color temperature (~3200K) remains constant=
 when
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0dimmed rather than turning yellow as do in=
candescents lamps.

> I don't know what is meant by "40% of your dimmer range". =A0In terms of =
light
> output, IIRC, I found that the name-brand dimmable CFLs I tested provided=
 3-4
> F-stops (measured with a light meter) of dimming which corresponds to Ful=
> Output and 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 or (barely) 1/16 of full output - which in turn
> corresponds to 100%, 50%, 25%, 12%, and 6% of full light output.
>
> And yes, do save your receipts.
>
> HTH ... Marc
> Marc_F_Hultwww.ECOntrol.org- Hide quoted text -

They were floods so I would assume almost always be mounted base up.
By 40% I meant bsed on the LED bar on my dimmer, the 6th LED was
coming on before the bulb fired at all, so the 7th through 10th LED
(40%) reflected the total range of actual controlability.  As the
dimmer was passing through LED's 1-5 the bulb stayed off completely
and never fired the gasses, even in a dark room.  They were the Home
Depot brand with the green printing in that "impossible to open"
plastic sound-welded packaging.