Re: CFL question - dimming CFLs any good with X-10 dimmers ?

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 20:17:51 -0700 (PDT), windcrest
<passport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<935fea77-4365-455d-9620-3ea4fa6214eb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>On Jun 7, 4:19 pm, "Pico" <p...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Well as the title says, I am curious if there are any glitches using the
>> Dimmable CFLs with X-10 or Smarthome modules.   I don't need dimming but I
>> don't want to replace all my wall dimmers with wall mounted relays.
>>
>> Anyone found a good brand of CFL twists that are dimmable ?  Sylvania make
>> a couple but I think they are spots.
>
>I've had bad luck with the dimmable CFL's, I bought 9 of them for my
>kitchen cans (6 inch cans with floods) all 9 died within 8 months.
>The nearby halogens (also in 6 inch cans) are going on 8 years!  If
>you get dimmable CFL's save your receipts and they will guarantee the
>bulbs, I unfortunately did not save the receipt.  ASnother quirk is
>they only react to the upper 40 percent of the dimmer switch, then
>they drop out completely, IOW they do dim ok but you will only have
>40% of your dimmer range available from full to off.  My dimmer is the
>Leviton 1000 watt X10 unit.

Are these nine, identical, no-name CFL's not designed to be used base-up in
enclosed cans?

Or nine different CFL models all intended for use in 6-inch cans?

(It's hard to assess the applicability/usefulness of your experience without
some more specifics.)

I installed Philips brand CFL "Marathon Reflector Flood Dim" EL/A R40 Dim
20W" in the kitchen several years ago.

They are _designed_ for base-up, enclosed operation and the resulting heat
build-up.

	- None have failed.
	- None have turned dark.
	- All still dim nicely
	- Yes, the dimmer curves are different than for incandescents lamps
	- Yes,  the color temperature (~3200K) remains constant when
	       dimmed rather than turning yellow as do incandescents lamps.

I don't know what is meant by "40% of your dimmer range".  In terms of light
output, IIRC, I found that the name-brand dimmable CFLs I tested provided 3-4
F-stops (measured with a light meter) of dimming which corresponds to Full
Output and 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 or (barely) 1/16 of full output - which in turn
corresponds to 100%, 50%, 25%, 12%, and 6% of full light output.

And yes, do save your receipts.

HTH ... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org