Re: CFL question - dimming CFLs any good with X-10 dimmers ?

On Jun 7, 4:19=A0pm, "Pico" <p...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well as the title says, I am curious if there are any glitches using the
> Dimmable CFLs with X-10 or Smarthome modules. =A0 I don't need dimming bu=
t I
> don't want to replace all my wall dimmers with wall mounted relays.
>
> Anyone found a good brand of CFL twists that are dimmable ? =A0Sylvania m=
ake a
> couple but I think they are spots.

I've had bad luck with the dimmable CFL's, I bought 9 of them for my
kitchen cans (6 inch cans with floods) all 9 died within 8 months.
The nearby halogens (also in 6 inch cans) are going on 8 years!  If
you get dimmable CFL's save your receipts and they will guarantee the
bulbs, I unfortunately did not save the receipt.  ASnother quirk is
they only react to the upper 40 percent of the dimmer switch, then
they drop out completely, IOW they do dim ok but you will only have
40% of your dimmer range available from full to off.  My dimmer is the
Leviton 1000 watt X10 unit.