Re: MMIR X-10 Macro IR Module

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 22:05:35 -0400, Marc_F_Hult
<MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<lot8f356orvnarvstq0kj4g3a5iga2mrs7@xxxxxxx>:

>For example in our brick house, which takes forever to change temperatures
>owing to the large thermal mass (heat capacity), these five 'events' cover
>most of the HVAC need:
>
>85F --> SummerNotHomeTooWarm
>78F --> SummerAtHomeTooWarm
>
>68F --> WinterAtHomeTooCold
>60F --> WinterNotHomeTooCold
>50F --> WinterTooColdEmergency
>
>One can simply determine experimentally (by measurement) the binary output
>of the ADC at these five temperatures with whatever temperature sensor you
>choose (LM3*, thermistor. thermocouple, etc) and set the 'event' equal to
>that byte value (assuming 8-bit ADC).
>
>One can then (also) tweak the system as desired by circumstances by
>changing the value of the constants without messing around with the rule
>set (i.e., the control logic) which is where many errors creep in.

"Changing the values of the constants" can be seen a bit more formally as
an example of 'late binding' used (as I understand it) by the robust
industrial and building control protocols BACNET and LonWorks (and perhaps
others).

In other words, it's more than an expedient trick.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org