Re: MMIR X-10 Macro IR Module

"John, SW Missouri" <jmjones@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1190150809.425230.178980@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hi Robert,
>
> Last week there was a Homevision controller on eBay for $199 with no
> takers.  Wouldn't you be money ahead buying a Homevision?  I know it's
> twice what you paid for the macro gadget, but it's 1000 times the
> capabilities.  IR on the HV is flawless and robust.

I thought they had gone out of business but I am not sure why.  (-:  Are
they still up and running?  What's the programming of the HV controller
like?

I have an Ocelot (well, actually its predecessor, the CPU-XA) which has 1000
times the capacity of the MMIR, but . . . and it's a big but . . . it has
1000 times the complexity as well.  I really wanted something so simple I
could write up programming instructions for my wife to follow if it somehow
needed to be reset.   It's hard to believe, but we really don't have much
need for a centralized controller beyond what the 8 channel Minitimers
offer.

With the random mode, it's fairly easy to simulate that "lived in" look when
we're away.  I got a bunch of the timers on closeout at Ratshack for under
$20 each and we keep one programmed for summer, one for winter and one for
spring/fall and switch them in and out from behind an X-10 filter as needed.
My wife can actually program them better and faster than I can (and shoot a
.22 target pistol better than me, too, but not a .45!).  If there's any
leftover capability on the MMIR, I can use its timers to simulate movement
throughout the house.

But I might just add the word Homevision to my Ebay watch list. A current
search reveals only a copy of the manual.  )-:  For me, $89 is a "noise
level" purchase but $199 isn't.  Don't ask why, there's really no reason.
I'd certainly take a look if the price is right (meaning < $100, most
likely).  Thanks for the input, John (aren't you an Ocelot guy, BTW?)  The
MMIR has yet to pass its tests, so there might still be room for a more
capable device.

--
Bobby G.