Re: MMIR X-10 Macro IR Module

"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:F8WdnRgTbqoB0W7bnZ2dnUVZ_gmdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxx

> Now that I've located and ordered one, (!) what are the real world
> ramifications of 8 v. 16 bits in a home automation controller?  Dawn and
> dusk calculations?  If so, either a "Sundowner" or an Hawkeye facing a
> window will give you real world data. Two of them in different locations
> will give you a high degree of certainty that it's really dawn or dusk.
> Does 16 bits provide meaningfully higher resolution when working with
> analog
> inputs?
>
> It will be interesting to compare the tradeoffs between ease of
> programming
> and 8 bit arithmetic.

I use thermistors for temperature sensors.  They are cheap and reliable.  We
used them in fault-tolerant triplex sets for the Navy environmental
monitors.  Thermistors are non-linear devices, and the math required to
convert their output to degrees F is best done with 16-bit arithmetic.  Of
course, the alternative is to use an active temperature sensor with linear
output already in the form of millivolts per degree F.

Jeff