Re: MMIR X-10 Macro IR Module

"Jeff Volp" <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx> wrote
> "John, SW Missouri" <jmjones@xxxxxxxxx> wrote
> >
> > In my opinion the Homevision controller is much easier to program than
> > the Ocelot.  I've had both.
>
> I agree the Homevision looks like a very nice controller.  However it does
> seem to be limited to 8-bit arithmetic, which can be a limitation for some
> applications.  The 8-bit PIC can be a pain to use for analytical
> applications for the same reason.  Even the original 1970's 6800
> microprocessor would concatenate the A&B accumulators to do 16-bit
> arithmetic.  While I agree the programming can be awkward, at least the
> Ocelot will do 16-bit arithmetic.

Now that I've located and ordered one, (!) what are the real world
ramifications of 8 v. 16 bits in a home automation controller?  Dawn and
dusk calculations?  If so, either a "Sundowner" or an Hawkeye facing a
window will give you real world data. Two of them in different locations
will give you a high degree of certainty that it's really dawn or dusk.
Does 16 bits provide meaningfully higher resolution when working with analog
inputs?

It will be interesting to compare the tradeoffs between ease of programming
and 8 bit arithmetic.

--
Bobby G.