Re: Why cling to old X10?

"Neil Cherry" <njc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

<stuff snipped>

> IMnsHO,( ;-) X10 is dieing but it just hasn't realized it yet (or
> maybe they have and are just milking it to death). They have no new or
> improved products in relation to their HA line of products.

That's not 100% true, I'm afraid, Neil.  I just ordered the X-10 Pro Macro
Controller that seems to be a fairly new item.  It's sort of a cross between
a CM11A and an Ocelot, and allows for complex X-10 macros with timers to be
initiated from any IR remote.  At long last I can use the all of the unused
buttons on my remotes to perform complex X-10 macros.  Here's the blurb from
the manual which can be found at:

http://www.smarthomeusa.com/Common/x10pro/manuals/mm-ir.pdf

"Using the PRO MacroController is one of the best ways to control many X-10
devices with just a few commands. The PRO MacroController allows you to send
a ?macro? or sequence of X-10 codes triggered by any one of three types of
inputs:
1) a single X-10 code transmitted from any X-10 controller, 2) a single IR
(infrared) code transmitted from any typical home remote controller, or 3)
from a
timer that has expired which was programmed into the PRO MacroController.
With this flexibility, it is easy to create a mode or "scene", say for TV
watching or
dining, with just a push of a button. Another feature of the PRO
MacroController
is its ability to error check its own X-10 transmissions."

Sounds like a pretty interesting tool to me, and oddly enough, it appears to
come from the same people who make the Monterey powerline signal analyzer.
(Waiting for confirmation on that, though . . .)

If new gear is still coming out, particularly equipment that fills a
previously unfilled niche, then I'd still have to say there's some life left
in the old gal.

--
Bobby G.