Re: Why cling to old X10?

"RickH" <passport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1189568250.420376.126830@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Why do so many here still cling to X10 when there are more dependable
> mesh networks available like zwave, insteon, etc.?  Reading through
> the past posts there are so many war stories with X10, at what point
> are these headaches no longer worth it?  I waited 3 years to install
> the switches/load handlers in my basement remodel, simply because I
> had had enough with X10 and ACT's A10 and I knew other mesh products
> were coming.  I'm glad I waited and wonder why others continue to
> patch a leaky boat.

X10 can be virtually 100% reliable.  It also offers a lot of bang for the
buck.

UPB was supposed to be a panacea, but recent threads indicate it may have a
problem with line transients.  I recall reading something about a mod coming
to address that issue.  Noise from CFLs can be a problem for Insteon as well
as X10.  Insteon also seems to have a reliability problem with the hardware
itself.

It seems like every system has its own warts.  It may be reliability, cost,
limited number of devices available, few sources, ...

X10 patents have expired, so there is a rich selection of devices out there.
There is also a range of quality from the low end devices made by X10 to the
Leviton switches with gated AGC, which have worked perfectly here (even
before I designed the XTB).

Maybe there are more war stories regarding X10 because many more people are
using it than the newer systems.

Jeff