Re: Why cling to old X10?

RickH wrote:
> Why do so many here still cling to X10 when there are more dependable
> mesh networks available like zwave, insteon, etc.?  Reading through
> the past posts there are so many war stories with X10, at what point
> are these headaches no longer worth it?  I waited 3 years to install
> the switches/load handlers in my basement remodel, simply because I
> had had enough with X10 and ACT's A10 and I knew other mesh products
> were coming.  I'm glad I waited and wonder why others continue to
> patch a leaky boat.

That's a fair question. Probably for most it's a case of "the devil you
know" or the extremely low cost to get started.  It's easy to install,
there's lots of product options and, once you get it tweaked it's pretty
reliable for most users.  I recently converted one home to Insteon which has
had it's growing pains but is now very stable.  My other, smaller home still
uses X10 because it works very well and, except for the odd item that throws
it a curve ball once in a while, it requires very little maintenance.  That
being said, if starting from scratch as I will be doing when we move, I will
put in all Insteon devices and leave the X10 with this place.