Re: Why cling to old X10?

"Jeff Volp" <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx> wrote in message news:FeKFi.88259

> Maybe there are more war stories regarding X10 because many more people
are
> using it than the newer systems.

Bingo! I read an interview with David Rye that implied that there are at
least 2 million X-10 households out there and perhaps as many as 5 million.
That's probably more than all other HA protocols combined and multiplied by
a number that might be more than a single digit.  I believe I quoted that
article a while back in another one of these numerous "X10 is dead" threads.

For me, one of the biggest draws is that there's SO much compatible gear out
there.  In researching another thread's post, I came across another "must
have" item for X-10.  A device that can spit out complex X-10 macros in
response to IR inputs.  Now that I've got an X-10 aware video switcher it
will be a lot easier to control from a single remote if I can trigger macros
via the IR. I'll report on it in another thread.

Since new gear is still appearing for X-10 like the MMIR and the XTB-IIR,
the reports of X-10's imminent death seem a little premature, at least.  And
for the record, I'm betting on there being an XTB-III just because something
will turn up that needs it and because the summers are apparently only going
to get hotter and hotter leaving less hiking time but more soldering time.

--
Bobby G.