Re: MMIR X-10 Macro IR Module

Bobby,

Well at least I know my message didn't get lost ;-)

You can download the software for Homevision free from their website,
or better yet you can download HomevisionXL from here:

http://hv.tclcode.com/download.html

Then you can play with it on your computer and get an idea of how it
programs compared to the Ocelot.  For me the Ocelot was fine for time
of day type events.  It could be a pain trying to do anything
involved.  I tried IR with it a couple times but didn't have any luck
and gave up.  I know there are people that do IR with the Ocelot so
I'll blame that on myself.  When I did IR with Homevision it just
worked as advertised - how nice.  I have an MX3000 remote upstairs set
up with all kinds of screens for home automation - just need to time
and energy to get it working with Homevision.  We rebuilt our home
after storm damage and I have the Elk M1G permanently installed in the
attached garage and 97% wired and operational.  I have my Homevision
Pro laying on it's back on a table near my HA computer down in the
family room (used as my laboratory).  It is eventually going to be up
next to the Elk, but I'm very slow in getting it there.

In my bathrooms I have ACT 2-way non-dimming switches controlling the
exhaust fans.  When you turn one on Homevision starts a timer and
turns the fan off automatically if you leave it on.  This is one of my
favorite things, though my wife doesn't think it's so great.  I have a
detached work shop which is about 80 feet from the house and the
lighting there is all ACT controlled and you can see what's on from
the touchscreen display (also laying on it's back on the table by
HV).  Same thing is true for a small barn I have not far from the
shop.  We have a little over 3 acres and I have lots of outside
lighting - all controlled by Homevision.

I hate to knock the Ocelot as it served me well for several years and
was rock solid.  As you experienced, programming could be a test of
your patience.  Prior to the storm I had been using a Homevision basic
controller and was phasing out the Ocelot.  One thing holding me back
was all the messages I had in the SpeakEZ.  When I installed the Elk
with built-in audio messages I missed the Ocelot even less.

I too have an XTB - what a great device !!

Yes, "point of sale" - a little 40 column printer that prints on
adding machine tape.  I bought one on eBay for $2 ;-)
Takes about 16" of tape per day to records all the house vitals
including high and low temps, drive activity, alarm on/off, etc.

So you have dogs!  I had 5 when the tornado hit, had to give one up
and have 4 left.  Alpha dog is a 13 year old Shih Tzu, #2 is a 7 year
old 130 pound black lab, #3 is a 4 year old beagle and #4 is a 4 year
old poodle that blew in with the tornado in 2003 - yes we've been
through two tornados.  What dogs do you have?

My wife limp wrists everything but her .380 and the .22.  She will get
a FTE 80% of the time with my 9mm Glock.   She actually does better
with my .45 which is metal not polymer.  She does very well with a
wheel gun and so that's her choice for protection.  As if I don't have
enough on my plate already I just started reloading about 3 months
ago.  Rifle only at this time, and 99% is .308 winchester with a
little 30-06 and 270 for grins.  I belong to a local bench rest
shooting club in Springfield, Missouri.

I've owned 3 Brownings over the years - wish I still had one.

Without one in the chamber, boooo, ALWAYS carry with one in the tube,
unless you're an Israeli soldier as they are trained to carry
unprepared.  My Glock and Para Ordnance are 100% safe with one in the
chamber as long as they are in a GOOD holster.

Great joke about the Italian submarine ;-)

Off hand I can't think of a way for Homevision to detect a storm, but
that doesn't mean it can't be done.  Anyway the new XTB-IIR will be
doing this from what I read.

You're not in D.C. are you - can't be with a functional firearm in
your home.

John