Re: MMIR X-10 Macro IR Module

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 13:54:14 GMT, "Jeff Volp" <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx> wrote in
message  <a89Ji.122294$ax1.106608@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>"John, SW Missouri" <jmjones@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> Bobby,
>>
>> Jeff is trying to scare you - LOL
>>
>> He's is referring to the fact that variables in Homevision cannot
>> exceed a value of 255 (8 bits).  You can work around this by using
>> more than one variable.
>
>There are always work arounds.  The 8-bit limitation is isn't much of an
>issue with simple things like timers or counting.  It is a factor with any
>complex arithmetic, like linearization of thermistors, or applying a scale
>factor calibration.  Unlike most people, I do a fair amount of analog
>processing in the Ocelot.  And I run exponential filters on all analog
>inputs to stabilize readings to the LSB.  That can be done in 8-bit land,
>but it is certainly not as easy.
>
>Talk about work arounds, after using Motorola/Freescale microcontrollers
>for  decades, almost everything in the PIC is a work around.

LOL.  I recently found myself including an autoranging input in a schematic
to get more dynamic range out of a 10-bit AVR ADC. (FWIW, the extra two
bits, ability to add an external voltage references to some 10-bit ADC
MCUs, and a slow/quiet clock mode makes a significance difference). But I
ripped it up. Don't *ever* want to go back there ;-)

I recall the guffaws to my emailed response in 1999 when asked by a c.h.a
regular who was developing commercial home automation software that flopped
about what I/O hardware to support. I suggested some simple PC I/O-mapped
16-bit ADC hardware which was panned as unnecessary academic stuff ;-) Try
building a wide-range automated daylighting system with a linear-output
light sensors and 8-bit ADC without some sort of companding or other
external exponential/logarithmic workaround.

... Marc

Visit my Internet Porch Sale of excess personal Home Automation and
electronic gear at www.ECOntrol.org/porch_sale.htm

Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org