Re: Why cling to old X10?

On Sep 15, 2:22 pm, "Robert L Bass" <RobertLB...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> ...the basement evolved into a dance floor
> >> ...With 55 devices and growing
>
> > For those, like you, who want intricate scene
> > control, and were moving anyway, Insteon's
> > probably a better bet...
>
> There is a much better solution for scene control.  DMX-512 is used
> in the vast majority of theatrical venues.  It's simple to deploy,
> versatile and well-supported by manufacturers of stage lights,
> strobes, fog machines, robotic light fixtures, etc.  There's at least
> one home automator who has developed a DMX-512 based lighting control
> system for home use.  There have been a number of threads on the
> subject in news:comp.home.automation.
>
> I've worked with DMX-512 controls building fairly complex systems for
> church and theatrical use.  You can buy off the shelf lighting and
> special effects controllers to operate existing 110 and 220 VAC
> fixtures from numerous online vendors.
>
> You can also rent a few things cheaply from places like Sam Ash to
> see what you can do before committing to a change.  I'm throwing a
> party next weekend and I plan to rent a few devices for the dance
> floor -- strobes, a fogger and some PARs.  We're considering making a
> few of them permanent since we entertain somewhat frequently.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
> Robert L Bass

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>
> Bass Home Electronics
> 941-925-8650
> 4883 Fallcrest Circle
> Sarasota =B7 Florida =B7 34233http://www.bassburglaralarms.com
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

It was my understanding that DMX512 has no status confirmation, that
it only sends.  At least thats my experience with my DJ light
controller which is DMX512/MIDI compatible.  I plug in my PAR's, disco
ball, smoke machine and some other effects, but wiring them into my
walls I'm not so sure of.