Re: Why cling to old X10?

On Sep 12, 1:42 am, "Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Bream Rockmetteller" <bream(dot)rockmetteller(at)mac(dot)com> wrote in
> messagenews:2007091122290416807-breamdotrockmettelleratmacdotcom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> > On 2007-09-11 20:37:30 -0700, RickH <passp...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
>
> > > Why do so many here still cling to X10 when there are more dependable
> > > mesh networks available like zwave, insteon, etc.?  Reading through
> > > the past posts there are so many war stories with X10, at what point
> > > are these headaches no longer worth it?  I waited 3 years to install
> > > the switches/load handlers in my basement remodel, simply because I
> > > had had enough with X10 and ACT's A10 and I knew other mesh products
> > > were coming.  I'm glad I waited and wonder why others continue to
> > > patch a leaky boat.
>
> > My problem is the age of my wiring. I don't have the separate power
> > supply required for an Insteon switch... only two wires in the box. In
> > fact, I recently bought, and returned, a collection of Insteon products
> > because I was unaware that they required modern wiring to function.
> > SmartHome was gracious enough to refund the vast majority of the
> > purchase price, even though the items had been opened. Their on-line
> > chat help was, well, helpful! Despite the problems I have with X-10, I
> > have very little alternative. But, when a two-wire Insteon switch is
> > available, I'll be first in line!
>
> Kudos to Smarthome for accepting the return.  I hadn't realized that Insteon
> required a neutral wire to function properly.  While X-10 switches do work
> without a neutral, I have not had any that would work with CFL's in that
> particular configuration.  In my house, that's just the overhead fixtures
> which we rarely use anyway, so it's not too big a deal.  For others, it
> could be a real PITA.  I had one lamp seem to work at the front door but a
> few hours later the neighbors were asking "why is your front light
> flashing?" because they thought it was some sort of "help needed" alarm.
> (-:
>
> Another serious impediment to switching over for me is also the age of the
> wiring, but for a different reason than yours.  I've already broken off
> wires and had to rip out plaster to fix the problem.  I'd really like to
> avoid that happening again.  I intend to replace all the X-10 switches with
> the original manual switches when we move.  That means I want to make sure
> there's at least one OUT/IN cycle left on the wallbox wires.  That makes me
> really inclined to leave them alone.
>
> --
> Bobby G.- Hide quoted text -

I've had 2 homes involved with HA over the years, in both I felt I
needed to be concerned about the next owner and the inevitable home
inspection process at selling time.  In my first home I did remove the
X10 stuff as it was not reliable enough, (mostly signal thrashing,
relay chatter, etc), before home inspection.  In this home I have
about 55 Insteon devices that so far have been 100 percent reliable.
These 55 are in the basement alone where there is an elaborate home
theater with a large number of accent lighting circuits and scenes,
and an adjoining dance floor disco with more effect lighting.  It's a
2 story home and I'll eventually add more Insteon to the main and
upper floors, and still need a few more in the basement for stage
drape control, etc.  After using X10 for years I feel confident now I
would not be sticking the next owner with an unreliable system.
Although there are a few things I still cant do with Insteon, like
dawn/dusk detection, but that will come.  BTW I am also running 2 UPS
systems on my computers and a moderate number of CFL's, I have no
signal bridge, just 2 RF wall repeaters on the main and 2nd floors, I
dont use any 24/7 computer control, just a desktop application to
program the Insteon network devices occasionally.  I can honestly say
that I have never experienced a real glitch yet.