Re: Why cling to old X10?

On 2007-09-11 20:37:30 -0700, RickH <passport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

> Why do so many here still cling to X10 when there are more dependable
> mesh networks available like zwave, insteon, etc.?  Reading through
> the past posts there are so many war stories with X10, at what point
> are these headaches no longer worth it?  I waited 3 years to install
> the switches/load handlers in my basement remodel, simply because I
> had had enough with X10 and ACT's A10 and I knew other mesh products
> were coming.  I'm glad I waited and wonder why others continue to
> patch a leaky boat.

My problem is the age of my wiring. I don't have the separate power
supply required for an Insteon switch... only two wires in the box. In
fact, I recently bought, and returned, a collection of Insteon products
because I was unaware that they required modern wiring to function.
SmartHome was gracious enough to refund the vast majority of the
purchase price, even though the items had been opened. Their on-line
chat help was, well, helpful! Despite the problems I have with X-10, I
have very little alternative. But, when a two-wire Insteon switch is
available, I'll be first in line!
--
Bream Rockmetteller
Donaldson's Dog Joy