Re: Why cling to old X10?

>> ...the basement evolved into a dance floor
>> ...With 55 devices and growing
>
> For those, like you, who want intricate scene
> control, and were moving anyway, Insteon's
> probably a better bet...

There is a much better solution for scene control.  DMX-512 is used
in the vast majority of theatrical venues.  It's simple to deploy,
versatile and well-supported by manufacturers of stage lights,
strobes, fog machines, robotic light fixtures, etc.  There's at least
one home automator who has developed a DMX-512 based lighting control
system for home use.  There have been a number of threads on the
subject in news:comp.home.automation.

I've worked with DMX-512 controls building fairly complex systems for
church and theatrical use.  You can buy off the shelf lighting and
special effects controllers to operate existing 110 and 220 VAC
fixtures from numerous online vendors.

You can also rent a few things cheaply from places like Sam Ash to
see what you can do before committing to a change.  I'm throwing a
party next weekend and I plan to rent a few devices for the dance
floor -- strobes, a fogger and some PARs.  We're considering making a
few of them permanent since we entertain somewhat frequently.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics