Re: Z-Wave Pool Thermostat with Water Temperature Sensor

"Richard Kaplan" wrote:

>> HomeSeer has been around for quite a while and they have plug-ins
>> for numerous subsystems.  When Rich was first developing the
>> software I supplied the test hardware (a Napco P9600 system with
>> HA interface). One issue you might have with this approach is that
>> it requires the PC to be running to integrate your systems as well
>> as to allow remote access.  The ELK system does not require a
>> dedicated PC.  I prefer a design that does not hinge entirely upon
>> a central PC.  YMMV of course.
>
> The most critical function for me is operating the pool heat 24/7
> in the winter.
>
> With the HomeSeer system, a PC is needed for remote access, but if
> I use z-wave thermostats then the pool heat will continue working
> even if the PC is down.  Any other functions I add such as lighting
> are inconsequential and if they stop when the PC is down that does
> not matter.

The issue here is that Z-wave doesn't travel great distances.  If the
distance from the thermostat (or any other device) to the controller
exceeds ~30 feet, it won't work.  Thus, if you were already planning
to automate lighting, etc., Z-Wave might have been your best choice.
Since lighting control is not important to you, Z-Wave is not the
best protocol.

> I am intrigued though by your comment about the ELK system not
> requiring a dedicated PC.  Are you saying the rules are located in
> a microprocessor in the ELK-M1G and therefore will still function
> with the PC inoperative?

Yes, precisely.  Bear in mind that ELK is synonymous with Z-Wave.
The system can work with Z-Wave, USB, X10, etc.  Their M1XSP (up to
eight RS232 units) can also be used to communicate with a number of
proprietary lighting and HVAC devices.  For your swimming pool
application, the optimum choice will be a stand-alone, programmable
controller with the ELK piggy-backed to monitor and operate it.
That's actually not difficult to do.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass