Z-Wave Pool Thermostat with Water Temperature Sensor

I am researching options to control a pool heating system as part of a
home automation system.

The Homeseer website lists a Z-wave thermostat (TZ40) from a company
called RCS, which also makes an optional remote pool/spa temperature
sensor (RSP2).

My thought is that I would install the TZ40 and RSP2 very close to my
pool pump/plumbing.  Then I would set up a computer with home
automation software and a z-wave receiver elsewhere in thse house
(probably Homeseer with the Maestro Heat & Air Plug-in.

I got a technical service reply from RCS, however, saying that the RSP2
is discontinued and RCS no longer offers any type of pool/spa control.
Also RCS suggets that "this may not be too practical a use for z-wave
topology since it's a mesh network type of RF transmission and requires
retransmitters out to the pool pad area."

Are there other manufacturers who make a z-wave thermostat with a pool
water sensor?  Is it true that z-wave is not a practical use for this
application?  If so, what other design would be better?